I should really be in bed right now, but before I climbed under the covers I thought I would check on my project, and it was dry! And I am so bananas excited about it that I had to take a few mediocre pictures to show off!
First, the Before picture—my paperback copy of The Blue Castle, with its totally irrelevant cover art (who are these people supposed to be? not the characters in the book, that’s for sure).
And second, the After picture—that same paperback, reborn as a hardback with an embroidered cloth clover!
The embroidery was my project this weekend—I’m not very quick, and very out of practice, so I estimate that it took me at least 12 hours. Turning it into a new cover didn’t actually take more than an hour or so, but had to be spread out over a couple of days so that things could dry in stages. I finished most of it last night, but this evening I glued in the endpapers (I’m in love with this feather paper, I must go back and buy ten sheets of it) and now it is Completely Finished.
I’ve been daydreaming on this project for a couple of years now (…I’m really slow with craft projects. I dwell lovingly on them for ages, then make things in short bursts) and I’m really happy with the result. There are a handful of imperfections that I’m disappointed with (the fabric I used was much too thin! and some corners aren’t perfectly square…) but for my first attempt, I’m pleased.